Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Muffin Top vs. Barbie



So I'm kinda tall, right? And I have lost some weight over the past year and feel that as far as my weight is concerned, that I still have a good bit to lose, but I'm feeling a lot better and thinner than I probably have since Jacob was born, 9 years ago. Yesterday morning I did a little baking for someone that had placed an order, I worked out, showered and got myself ready and then Marty and I got the kids ready for our family pictures. As we went to meet Amy for our photo shoot, I was feeling pretty good about myself! My hair (despite the need for a trim!) did OK, I was wearing black (black hides a lot) and I had a great work out with weights that morning, so I knew that even at that very moment, calories were still being burned...great day, right?! 15 mins after arriving, we had taken our pictures and were in the car heading home! I asked Marty to stop by the store so I could run in and grab a few things so he pulls into the Neighborhood Wal Mart and drops me off at the front. I jump out of the car, still liking my hair and outfit. As I get out of the car, I notice this lady...this Woman. It turns out that she and I are crossing in front of our car at the same time..side by side! She's way taller than me, beautiful blonde hair, perfectly lifted and perky "s, super thin...model-like....oh GREAT..I get to walk all the way to the doors next to her!! As we get closer to the entrance doors, our reflection says it all!! I am all of the sudden feeling super short, fat and my outfit isn't nearly as in style or as expensive as hers!! I could see people as they were coming out, smile at me politely and then WOW!...they look at her and do a double take!!! It's one of those moments where you just want to stop dead in your tracks and let Barbie just go ahead and get out of sight so you're not walking side-by-side with her! I just knew that everyone passing us was comparing me to her...Ms. Saggy, Droopy Muffin Top next to Ms. Perky, Hourglass Goddess! I'm sure at some point upon entering the store, as I dashed off in the total opposite direction from her (get as far away as possible!!!), I probably made some kind of grunting noise slightly in her direction. Next thing I know, Brant comes running up behind me calling for me and grabs my hand! It only took my awesome son to realized that Ms. Goddess and her great looks didn't matter! I'm happy with who I am! I do have things that need to be tweeked (like losing more weight!!) but I have been so blessed!! Blessed with a great family! Mom, dad and siblings that love me and the fact that we all get along really well, in laws in included!! An awesome husband that is true to the priesthood that he holds and beautiful children that all have a love for the Savior!! Barbie taught me how quick we are to compare and judge. My first thoughts were comparing myself to her and then my second thoughts when I first saw her was to judge (the word 'fake' entering into my mind once or twice!). In, like two seconds, I went from feeling good about myself to feeling so inadequate! I'm thankful that I was able to stop and put things back into perspective! I think next time I run into Barbie I will not slow down, but walk taller and faster and be the first one to enter the store!

7 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

I'm so glad your cute kid helped you put things back in perspective. You are awesome!

kathee said...

Wow, Tiff - thanks for sharing that. I need to stop doing the comparing thing. You rock, my friend, you rock.

TJ Eich said...

You are amazing! I LOVE this post!!

Tricia said...

Hi Tiffany! I saw your comment on the Jacobs' blog, and had to stop in and say hello. I love your blog, and especially the Barbie post! So true! You look beautiful and your kids are darling...getting so big! Say hello to Marty and your family for us. Love you guys!

Tricia and the Cope clan

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Thanks Tiff

Janell said...

Good for your in-site! A lot of people don't "pull out of it" & are miserable.So, good on you! You are beautiful!We love you! Janell

Mary Anne said...

you are so beautiful tiffany! seriously you are not only beautiful but you are such a great friend and person. i'm glad you didn't let barbie get you down for too long!