Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Snails...Masters of Disguise!!!

Ok, so just a little update on our (pet) snails! I am learning more and more everyday about snails! Snails' ancestors did a great job of putting up a BIG front to the people of the world!! For centuries they must have worked so hard to create an "image" for themselves as well as for all of their posterity! You know what I'm talking about! What do you think of when I talk about having pet snail? Oh--You first think of Gary on SpongeBob SquarePants...but after that--what do you think of? We have all been sucked into it!! We think of this cute little slimy slug that lives in a shell. He doesn't bother anyone, doesn't make noises, he's kinda cute when you really stop and watch and after watching a while you realize that they can actually move pretty fast! ...Well folks! WE HAVE ALL BEEN DECEIVED!! These little critters KILL! They EAT EACH OTHER MY FRIENDS!! Jacob's cute little, BLACK shelled pet wanted a little meat for dinner one day, so he ATE the yellow one!...yep..sucked him right out of his shell!! I didn't take pictures b/c, frankly, it was just such a horrific thing to witness (actually the batteries in my camera were dead & we had every other size battery except for AA's)! I was a little worried that the kids might be upset when they got home from school, but nope! Jacob ran around with his 'muscle' arms yelling, "Yes!! Mine is the strong snail!" and "The black one wins!!" and "Don't mess with MY snail, he'll eat you alive!"! ... great. Brant joined in on the news by coming up with new names for Jacob's snail. Some of them are: Darth Vader, Darth Maul (he didn't know what 'maul' means, so no pun was intended, but it was hilarious to me) uummm....The Black Knight, Snail-i-nator.... The crazy thing about it, too is that he's the smallest of them all! Maybe he had some kind of point to prove to the two biggest. Seriously, it was the craziest thing! I saw him, too! I looked at him at the beginning of his torture session! He was almost completely out of his shell and covering the opening of the other's shell. I almost shook their little water bowl, but thought I should let 'nature take it's coarse"...and really, I wasn't sure if they were mating or killing...so now I know!
So shall we observe a moment of silence for the cute (dangerous, deadly) little slimy creature.........................................................................................
Ok, ok that's enough! We will miss him, well, not really, but I do hate that he was murdered in such a vicious, cannibal-like way! I will never think of a snail the way I did before this event. They have us all fooled....they are Masters of Disguise! -In Closing, let me just say that three new pets have come to live with us since this snails death! A few days ago Joey C gave Jacob three of their Starfish...they are so cute (and super tiny, that's why I havent taken a picture of them) and ...I just can't help but wonder...WHAT SECRETs DO THEY HAVE??......................

3 comments:

Denise said...

I know the secrets of the starfish...they go from one to one million in no time flat! We scoop them out of our fish tank and throw them away! They are actually real cool how they slit.

Jenny Roberts said...

I've always wondered about those snails...To be honest I'm not surprised. They always seemed a little fishy to me.

Smith Family said...

Sounds like your pets are giving you some enjoyable times. Hmmmm....
Hope the star fish bring many smiles to your home. :-)