Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Little Boys & Broken Bones!!


This morning Allyson and I went to some different stores looking for fabrics for a couple of different projects. On the way home, I stopped to pay car insurance and just as I left there, heading home, Marty (home to grab some lunch) called my cell phone to tell me that (Nurse) Jenny called from the kids school to say that Jacob may have broken his arm- He was playing outside b/f lunch and fell off the monkey bars! It was perfect timing b/c I was just about to pass the school when he called, so Rissa and I swung by and picked him up. He was ok...until he moved his arm wrong and then he would scream and cry. I knew it wasn't good for him to be doing that b/c usually he just cries or whatever once and then blows it off. I ran to McD's to get he & Rissa some lunch and then took him home for Motrin and ICE! His wrist is what hurts the most, his Radius (the top arm bone if your thumb is pointing up). He couldn't face his palms up and when his Pediatric Dr tried to move it that direction manually, he screamed and cried so hard that I wanted to cry. I felt so bad for him!! Since it was 5:00pm when they were able to work us in to get seen, all of the Radiologist were closed, so tonight I had to run him over to Goodnight Pediatrics so they could get x-rays. Final Diagnosis: Broken! His Radius is broken right near his wrist. As bad as it was hurting him, I think the X-Ray and Green Cast has made it all worth it!! Tomorrow, along with his long-awaited Dental Appointment, we will also be visiting the Orthopedist as well! So here are a few pictures. They wouldn't let me take any in the x-ray room. Jacob thought it was so cool and wondered why they gave us a disk of all of his x-rays...he wants to take it to school to let all of his friends see. I explained to him that the Dr. needs them tomorrow and that's why they gave them to us.( Oh-and I can't download any of them onto this laptop or else I'd post them!) ...A/W, here are a few that he let me take!
Jacob watching SpongeBob and "playing" w/some of his Transformers. I say, "playing", b/c he insisted on me getting them for him so he could play w/them...he couldn't even lift the big ones so they just sat beside him...his 'comfort'...he just prefers Transformers over Teddy Bears, I guess! I had drugged him up, wrapped his arm and had it on ice by now.

This is our second Dr's visit of the day! His spirits are high b/c he's excited about getting an X-ray, ya know, "the big machine that takes pictures of your bones!"


We have moved locations...a patient room. Jacob knows that he is one step closer to the grand moment that he will be able to experience having an X-ray! He waited so patiently and every so often I would see him sneak into a daydream (about the big x-ray machine, no doubt) and a smile would briefly flash across his face! It made me laugh.


The amazing experience has come and gone. Now he is absolutely not wanting me to take his picture!...this part isn't important to him. He is getting his temporary cast, in bright GREEN, to get him through the night. Tomorrow the Orthopedist will give him a real, solid one.

As I complete this post I'm realizing how funny this is! Just last Tuesday, I went over to Jessica's to get my hair cut. As she was running up stairs to get something, she turned and hit the step wrong and POP! She popped a ligament in her foot! ok- That's not funny..but boy, it sure is a busy week!! You know, they say things like this comes in three's...who's next, I wonder?

6 comments:

Smith Family said...

Ouch, that sure had to hurt. We miss nurse Jenny, she was super nice! Glad the green cast and x-ray were worth the trauma though. :-)

Brea said...

Poor Jacob!! Good thing he is such a good sport! I think I know who the third victim is check Jacy's blog and take a look at John's foot. Ouch!

Jenny Roberts said...

Ouch! Kids think casts are so cool. I am glad he has a good attitude about it.

kathee said...

I keep waiting for that to happen to us! The odds are against us I think. Poor little guy.

taylortots said...

Jacob~ It was cool to see your new arm decor!! Glad to see you smile too.....Love Sister Taylor

Cara said...

Way to be brave Jacob! Poor kiddo. We've yet....KNOCK ON WOOD, dealt with a broken bone. I'm surprised more kids don't break bones at recess and parks. LOVE the green cast! Love you guys.