Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 1 in Utah....Declutter thy Mother's Shed....

When we go visit G'ma, we always tell her to make a list of things that we can all do together to help her around the house. Well, boy did we get to her!!1 We were so excited that we got to help clean out and organize her shed!!! Marty always likes finding "old memories" stuff!


G'ma rigged up a cool trash bag despencer--clever clever!!
Brant helped tons with keeping Rissa occuppied when she needed breaks from "hepping"! G'pa's old walker did the trick most of the time.


I just had to get a shot of this! JB White!!! I loved finding this box bc of two reasons: 1-for the longest time I shopped there (man they had good sales!!) and got my hair done there ...along with the fact that they were bought out years ago and no longer exist!! 2-When I was growing up, my dad was a Supervisor there, in the warehouse and so we ALWAYS had JB White gift boxes on hand! This was just one of those things that sparked a lot of memories for me.


We found Marty's Dad's Postal Jacket. Along with being in the Air Force, he was a Mailman. Our kids love the fact that G'pa was a Mailman....the old school kind, ya know! He didn't wear t-shirt and shorts and tennis shoes like ours! He was a hard core Mailman who dressed in the uniform and walked from door to door devlivering mail to the people of the world! It meant a lot to come across many memories of Dad.


OK----SSoooooooo...here's something else we found!
And upon ripping up the linoleum -- here's what we found!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING?!


So it wasn't before too long that Marty and I headed off to Lowe's to buy supplies for a NEW SHED FLOOR!! This was the first time we've ever replaced any type of floor by ourselves, so we had to do a little research at the "Do It Yourself" counter, but it didn't take too long before we had gathered our supplies and were heading out the door!


It was exciting to be taking this project on....but what if we TOTALLY SCREWED UP G'MAs shed floor??!!!! That thought did make us a slightly nervous, but didn't stop us!


Jacob was oh too eagar to saw something!!! We had even brought his Scout book with us, so it worked out well that he could knock two birds out with one stone!

We figured that since there was some water damage in the past, that we should water proof the wood, so Brant took on the job of weather proofing the wood. He actually took on many jobs, and his work was GREATLY appreciated!!!


I know that the Lord hears our prayers!! Our last two boards were, seriously, 1 inch too big! And G'ma had no power tools..only a hand saw! I just couldn't figure out how we were going to get the long, 1 inch strips cut with that tiny little saw! So I offered some very serious little prayers, and then I went and just started digging in all of G'pa's tools!!


When I saw the blades I just knew there had to be an electric saw of some kind - somewhere!! I think I also saw the Pearly White Gates of Heaven at about that same time!!! Not too much longer and I found this hand held saw, attached the blade and started cutting awayQ!!! I made sure that everyone got a chance to experience the joy of Power Tools!!!!


LOVE IT!! That was SSOOOooo much EASIER!!!! (Thank you G'pa!!!)
So here's the floor before Lanoleum
Nailing the Lanoleum down...I really liked the design I picked--I think it really brightened the place up! (G'ma loved it, so I'm happy about that:) ...and I am aware that there's a slight ripple in the middle....(huummmmmm...don't really know what to say bout that....I will probably use this picture in a lesson someday--talk about how sometimes there are ripples in life, or something weird like that?)
So here's the finished product!! The ripple isn't so obvious when 'stuff' is in there:)


7 comments:

Christy Peake said...

Looks so good! Ya'll make a great team.

Minta said...

You guys rock! I can't believe all you did to help! Quite the project...but it looks great! What fun family time too!

Kathy Habel said...

Looks great. Wanna do mine next?

Jenny Roberts said...

What a project! You guys did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The transformation is amazing. You guys should be so proud. Good work!

Anonymous said...

And that is why I LOVE the Joyner family!! You guys ROCK!!! What a great project. And good job on passing off Scouting stuff!!!

Cara said...

Awesome!!!! I didn't realize all that you did your first day here. That is something Gma will appreciate and will think of you guys every time she looks at the shed. You are all amazing!