Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

~One Can at a Time..Adding to our Food Storage~

Another thing that we did while my parents were here was add to our Food Storage! We got the Caner, went and purchased boxes, cans, lids and Oxygen packs (Thanks Mom & Dad!!) and then after I went and bought all of the food I wanted to can and we canned it all!
Grits, sugar, brown sugar, spices, Ramen Noodles!!! and Cocoa Puffs were just a few things I canned! Not sure on the life of the Cocoa Puffs--but if we were starving, even stale ones would make a good little treat, right?! I also got about 50lbs of oats and some other necessities and canned those as well.

I wanted to kids to be a part of the experience and understand that we, as a family, need to work together to help prepare ourselves for any emergency that might arise, so we all took turns working the caner. It was a great opportunity to remind the kids why we have Food Storage and got them talking and thinking more about it's importance.

Brant LOVED it and actually did, probably more than half of the cans!! He did an awesome job!!




When it was all said and done, we canned 10 cases (60 cans) of food and found the perfect space for them!! I'm excited to can more in a couple of weeks!! I'm grateful to my mom for getting my feet moving to add to our Food Storage and feel peace about it and little more security and self- sufficient now!! Thanks again Mom and Dad!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats really awesome Tiff, now you can show me how to use it!

Jenny Roberts said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun.

Coordination Queen said...

woohoo! I love working on food storage... does that make me a geek or a lover of food?

Brandi said...

I love bulking up my food storage too and that machine is fun to use. I never thought to can the spices all together like that. It does feel good to be on the road to preparedness doesn't it?

Jenny said...

Looked so fun! Every time I go to the cannery I feel so happy. My friend and I just used to laugh because we were so happy to have our bags of oats, wheat, and dehydrated apples. The spirit of preparedness!!! Awesome job!