Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Congratulations Jacob!!!

Jacob usually is smiling!!! I still love this picture of him, though!!! I will put a picture of Jacob on this post tomorrow :) In the meantime, I want to tell you his good news
Thursday I had an IEP meeting with all of Jacob's teacher's, Speech therapist, Occupational therapist and Principal. (An IEP is an Individualized Plan or program that kinda maps out his Education...services that he has to receive based on his disability and needs, etc.) A/W, I've been inwardly emotional lately b/c of it. This was one of the BIG IEP Meetings!!! You see, JACOB GRADUATED FROM HIS SPECIAL NEEDS, SELF CONTAINED CLASS!!! Today marked his FIRST FULL DAY AS A 100% MAINSTREAMED KID!!!! I'm soo proud of him!!! I feel very emotional about it b/c he has worked sooooo hard to get to where is today!!! From the moment he was diagnosed with Autism (at 19 months!) he has been bombarded with Speech, OT, a little PT, ABA therapy (intense stuff!!!), music therapy...anything we could do to help pull him out of the Autism. Everything had to be taught from the very beginning, ex. he didn't know how to point when he wanted something. We as a family, along with his team of therapist, first taught him how to point to request something and then paired it with sign language. It was hard at the time, but also neat. (I have many memories of tender moments when Brant, at the age of 3, would sit and try to teach Jacob "ball" in sign b/c he wanted to play ball with him.) ...Eventually it was paired with pictures and then sounds and then words. We never knew if he'd be able to be mainstreamed into a regular ed class. We never knew if he'd be able to read or write. AND NOW LOOK AT HIM!!! GREAT JOB JACOB!!!! I do have some pictures that I want to post, but I'll put them in my next post. His Birthday is Monday, so I will do his Birthday tribute with pictures this weekend. I just want to add how thankful I am for all of his church friends, who just love and accept him for who he is!! He loves people and friends and he loves to introduce himself to 'new friends'! He has told me many times how happy is he to have church friends at school, but esp three of them in his class!!! I'm thankful for that. I know there's still so much to learn and a lot to accomplish..but I'm so thrilled at how much he's accomplished already!! I'm so thankful for a loving Father in Heaven, who has opened up so many windows of opportunity to allow Jacob growth moments...I'm grateful for the growth moments that I have received as well!!!

9 comments:

David and Heather Smith said...

Wow! That is fantastic news! Congratulations to all of you!

Coordination Queen said...

That is so exciting!

Denise said...

Way to go Jacob! That is so awesome! Pat yourself on the back Tiff. Jacob is excelling because of you Marty and your kids. Olivia loves having Jacob in her class at school! A few years ago when Jacob was divided into a different class in primary Olivia came home real upset. She said Jacob is "supposed" to be in her class!

kathee said...

That is so wonderful!!!

Allyson said...

Congratulations, Jacob! And ditto to what Denise said-you and Marty have worked so hard to help him get here! He's going to do great!

Kirsten said...

Hey Tiffany,
I saw your comment on Mary Anne's blog and had to laugh a bit...you mean you don't remember me...the sister who shares your birthday, swam at your house on the 4th of July and "watched" fireworks? That's okay...I'll just have to come visit AZ more often so you'll remember that you've met me too!

That's awesome news about Jacob! He was blessed with wonderful parents to help him along the way!

Jenny Roberts said...

I am so excited for you guys as well. Jacob is a great kid and he has obviously worked very hard. way to go, Jacob!

THE GANTT LIFE said...

That's great news! :) I know you and Marty are great parents, too and he wouldn't have been able to do it without ya'll!!

Cara said...

Awesome job Jacob! He's such an amazing boy. You, Marty and Brant have done such an incredible job...you are always so patient, loving and always going the extra mile. You can see that with Jacob. Way to go Joyners!

Love you all