Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Relay for Life






















This Friday 10pm-Saturday 5am Brant and I went to the RELAY FOR LIFE to support Jaden in his efforts to raise money for the American Cancer Society!! Our theme was SUPER HEROS...SAVING LIVES! I was able to help out by making the sign. I also was planning on bringing a ton of baked goods for Jaden to sell. We found out two days before that the baked goods could not be homemade, so I decided to do a bake sale from home instead. When I got home from working out on Wednesday morning, there were many messages on my phone and by the time I called everyone back, I WAS SOLD OUT!!! With your help, together, we raised $120.00 dollars for Jaden's Team!!! I WAS SO EXCITED by all of the support and those of you who bought yummy treats from me!! THANK YOU!!!
Here we all are...the SUPERHERO'S!! After taking the picture, we decided to walk a lap together as a team, wearing our masks! I eventually had to change masks with Jess b/c the Batman mask was pushing into the "buttons" of my eyeballs (I'll explain that in another post b/c it really is a story that needs to be documented!) and I felt like my eyeballs were going to pop out and roll along side us on the track!
Our mighty team captain, Jaden, and his dad, Ken! I have been so impressed with Jaden and all the work and thought that he has put into his team and raising money for the American Cancer Society!! His grandmother has worked for the American Cancer Society for 25 years or so and so I know that she must be so proud of his accomplishments!!
Amy, Me & Jessica!! It was so fun being chaperones together!! The three of us have been good friends for a long time now. We've all helped each other through some hard times and have just been there for each other. I'm so thankful for these two amazing women!!
Brant & I after walking the 'Ceremony Lap'. I'll explain all of that near the end of this post. It was such a fun night with Brant! Once he found some friends I didn't see him too much b/c they were all running laps, selling baked goods & and just goofing off. We considered this one of our mother/son dates and he has told me several times that he was so glad that we did that together and that this was one of our funnest dates ever!! I must say that I am really proud of him! I was worried that he would be super grumpy b/c we went to the Pinewood Derby at the church and then got to the (high school) Relay around 10pm. We didn't get home from the walk until around 5:00am or so. Saturday didn't bring much rest for him either, he had a baseball game at noon (in which he pitched the first two innings!)...my point is that he had a full schedule and not much sleep and really didn't give us much attitude about it with lack of sleep!
Jaden thought it would be a good idea to bring his guitar and try to raise some money by playing. He did this before Brant and I got there, but I hear he did pretty well!
Here are some of the kids selling their goodies!!...while some kids sold goodies...
...others ATE them! :)
Jessica holding the Luminary for her grandfather.
This is one of my favorite parts of this night! This is part of the ceremony that honors survivors as well as those loved ones who have passed away as a result of cancer. People buy Luminaries and decorate them for their loved ones. They are all lined around the track and lit during this ceremony. It is tradition that after listening to an honorary speaker, everyone takes a QUIET lap around the track. As you walk, you hear them read off every persons name for which a luminary was purchased! It is a beautiful, heartfelt lap to walk! I cried the whole way around as I thought of my Aunt Ruthie who passed away from cancer a couple of years ago...at this exact time of year. I wish I would have remembered how neat that ceremony is and bought one for her. She had the kindest heart of anyone I know! She was so crafty and talented and I miss her tons! We always went out to dinner with her and my cousins when we would go up to Utah. Although, I still LOVE seeing my cousins, it still isn't the same to not have her there with us the past few times we've been up there. I know that she is on the other side of the veil sharing the gospel and her testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I also know that I'll see her again. I know that she is in a better, happier place than we are...I just miss her! This was such an amazing event and Jess & Amy & I already have it in the plans to get our own team there next year!! Thanks Jaden for making a difference in so many people's lives!!!
JUST FYI: Jaden's Team raised a total of nearly $2,ooo.oo...his goal was $1,000.00!!! They also won First Place for the Youth highest amount raised!!! Great Job Team!!!

No comments: