Bippodi Boppity Boo!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In the Mind of an Autistic Artist

I found this story, of Stephen, who is an Autistic Adult with a Photographic Memory. He is extremely talented!! They flew him up over New York and now, from memory, is free hand drawing a DETAILED paneramic view of what he saw!! Having our own little Autistic Artist in our family, I feel a connection to this story in so many ways and wanted to share it! Be sure to pause the music...I moved it up a little closer to the top so you don't have to scroll down so far:) Also, check out Rissa singing (right) BEAT IT, while you're at it:)....well, it's actually Brant's voice (lol)!


Watch CBS News Videos Online


Watch CBS News Videos Online

It's really made me stop and wonder if Jacob has a photographic memory b/c when he draws or makes things out of his clay, he's very detailed. He can see something once and recreate it either immemdiately or months later! And usually it's pretty exact. Once, in Primary, they were talking about the army of Helaman I guess had pitcures and had done 'Sharing Time' out of it and all. Before you knew it, he had sculpted a very detailed warrior out of his ball of clay. Teachers and kids, alike, were coming up to Marty and I talking about how amazing it was. Brant was the first to find me, "MOM! You should have SEEN what Jacob made!!!". {He has the need to have something in his hands most of the time so we, with Primary leaders consent, let him have a small ball of clay b/c it helps him feel a little more centered and focused.}

1 comment:

Apryl said...

I saw a special about this Artist-so amazing, motivating and a wonder, as I am sure most of Jacob's work is.